A neck lift is an effective and increasingly common method of refreshing and rejuvenating the neck area. The procedure, also known as “platysmaplasty,” tightens and smooths the skin in the neck, which tends to loosen and sag with age.
If you’re considering a neck lift, take a look at some of the most common questions asked by patients.
- What does a neck lift involve? The goal of a neck lift is to tighten the muscles in the neck and smooth the skin. The neck lift involves two parts: one to remove excess skin and the other to remove or augment neck muscles. If necessary, liposuction will be used to remove excess fat from the area. The entire procedure usually takes two to three hours and may be performed under general or local anesthesia with sedation. Most neck lifts are performed on an outpatient basis.
- Can a neck lift be combined with other procedures? Some patients choose to undergo a facelift at the same time as a neck lift in order to optimize results and eliminate the need for an additional surgery. Your surgeon will help you determine which choice is right for you during your consultation.
- What is the typical recovery time? Following a neck lift, patients are advised to keep their head still and avoid turning or twisting for the first few days. Applying cold compresses and keeping the head elevated for the first 48 hours can help minimize swelling, though swelling and bruising may last up to ten days. The sutures are usually removed in one week, and most people can return to work and resume normal daily activities within two weeks. Strenuous activities such as exercise should be avoided for four to six weeks.
- Are there any risks involved? As with any surgery, complications can occur such as infection or problems with anesthesia, though they are rare when dealing with an experienced and certified surgeon. Following a neck lift, patients may experience dry skin, tightness, and a burning or tingling sensation. There is also a risk of facial nerve damage.
- How long do results last? The results of a neck lift can last up to ten years. The procedure does not stop the clock, however as you continue to age, your neck will look younger than if you had never had the surgery.
Neck Lift in Okatie
If you are interested in learning more about the neck lift procedure, contact us today at 866.705.8940 or 843.705.8940 to schedule an appointment. We look forward to hearing from you.