What Is Neck Lift Surgery?
The neck may sag as a result of aging or weight loss and is often affected before the face. Loose neck muscles can lead to an appearance of bands on the neck or drastic drooping of the skin. A neck lift is a surgical procedure that can smooth and tighten the skin on the neck and provide a more toned and youthful appearance. The results of this procedure offer a drastic improvement to the appearance of the neck and subtle changes to the overall appearance. A neck lift may be performed alongside a facelift or may be performed alone, after which your friends and family may not even realize that a surgical procedure was performed.
Am I A Good Candidate For A Neck Lift?
A candidate for a neck lift maybe anyone who wants to get rid of sagging skin and loose muscles on their neck. Good candidates are also in good physical and emotional health and have realistic expectations about the outcome of their surgery. You can discuss the goals of your surgery with your surgeon so that you can achieve the results you desire.
Neck Lift Surgery Procedure
The neck lift procedure begins with making a small, inconspicuous incision directly below the chin, and in some cases behind the crease of the ears as well. The neck lift includes both a cervicoplasty to remove excess skin and a platysmaplasty to remove or alter muscles in the neck. Liposuction can also be used to remove excess fat during a neck lift. The incisions will then be sutured closed and the neck lift is completed.
The entire neck lift procedure takes two to three hours and may be performed under general or local anesthesia with sedation, depending on the preference of the patient. Most procedures are performed on an outpatient basis.
We also have a non-surgical option for a facelift called Embrace RF. This procedure is comparable to a surgical facelift, without the scars. Embrace RF combines two technologies, FaceTite and Morpheus8, that reduces fat without having to worry about sagging or wrinkly skin.
Recovery After Neck Lift Surgery
You can expect to experience some swelling and bruising shortly after the neck lift procedure, which may last up to ten days. Patients are advised to keep their heads still and avoid turning or twisting for the first few days. Applying cold compresses and keeping the head elevated for the first 48 hours following neck lift surgery can help minimize swelling. Prescription medication is also available to help alleviate any discomfort.
The sutures will usually be removed after about one week. After a neck lift procedure, most people can return to work and other normal daily activities within two weeks, after bruising and swelling subside. More strenuous activities should be avoided for about four to six weeks.
Results Of Neck Lift Surgery
Sagging skin, wrinkles along the neck, or the appearance of a double chin can make you appear much older than you really are. By removing pockets of fat from the chin and neck area, eliminating drooping bands of muscle, and tightening loose skin and muscles, a neck lift can help you regain your slender, youthful appearance. A neck lift can also be used in combination with a facelift and/or facial liposuction to further redefine the jawline and optimize your results.
Most patients who undergo neck lift surgery are extremely pleased with the results. The results of a neck lift can last up to ten years, and as you continue aging, you will always look younger than if you had never had a neck lift.
Risks And Complications Of Neck Lift Surgery
As with any surgical procedure, there are certain risks involved in a neck lift, including problems with anesthesia or infection. After the surgery, you may experience dry skin, tightness, and a burning or tingling sensation. There is also a risk of facial nerve damage that may occur during surgery and can result in muscle paralysis.
Although these complications are rare, they emphasize the importance of choosing a skilled and experienced surgeon for your cosmetic procedures.
Read what our patients are saying!
"Dr. Smith takes wonderful care of our 90 year old Mom. His nurse Theresa is caring, kind and patient. We have been coming here for years and he is so gentle with her."
Is It Wise to Combine My Neck Lift With a Facelift?
Your neck lift will smooth wrinkles and sagging skin from the area below your jawline. Because your neck is a sort of frame for your face, it may be advantageous to combine your neck lift with a facelift. The combination can enhance your youthful appearance in a more harmonious and balanced way. Isolating either the face or the neck, the untreated area might detract from the overall appearance of youthfulness. When one area looks obviously smoother and firmer than the other, it's a clear sign that you've had cosmetic work done. Therefore, the combination of neck and face lift accomplishes a more seamless appearance.
Another benefit you can gain from adding a facelift to your neck lift treatment is that you get more comprehensive results with only one recovery period. Whether performed individually or together, facelift and neck lift procedures usually incur about two to three weeks of downtime.
How Long Will My Neck Lift Results Last?
No plastic surgery procedure stops the aging process forever. Your body will go right on aging after your neck lift. However, your more youthful appearance can last for up to 15 years before you begin to notice looseness and lines once again. Studies suggest that neck lift results may last longer when this procedure is performed earlier, such as during your forties or fifties, than in your sixties or beyond. That said, you can expect a decade or more of improved appearance regardless of your age at the time of surgery.
What Can I Do to Support Lasting Results From My Neck Lift?
The better you care for your skin and overall health, the longer your cosmetic beauty can endure. After having a neck lift, consider upgrading your lifestyle habits to include some of the following tips:
- Prioritize overall health. Your diet has a direct effect on your production of collagen and elastin. Make sure you are getting sufficient amounts of vitamin C in your diet. This can come from citrus fruits, berries, and tomatoes. You may also supplement this vitamin. Additionally, your skin can benefit from foods that are rich in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Examples include olive oil, fatty fish, tree nuts, and avocado.
- Moisturize your skin. Proper moisturizing is vital to more resilient, youthful-looking skin. Using an appropriate oil or cream can prevent premature aging and also help keep your skin from becoming dry and scaly-looking. Moisturizing goes hand-in-hand with exfoliating, as well. After a shower in which a gentle abrasive cleanser is used to dislodge dead skin cells, a quality moisturizer can soak into the skin more efficiently.
- Watch your posture! The neck area is particularly affected by your posture. The more you look down at your phone, computer, or other objects, the faster your skin may lose its firmness and shape.
- Use sunscreen. The ultraviolet light in sunshine is damaging to your skin. To protect the results of your neck lift, it's necessary to avoid too much UV exposure. The application of SPF 30 sunscreen every day is an easy way to accomplish this.
- Avoid smoking. To be a candidate for neck lift treatment, you cannot smoke for at least a few weeks before surgery. Smoking must be avoided during the weeks of recovery as well, which can make it easier to kick the habit for good. Refraining from smoking and nicotine use not only reduces post-surgical risks but also helps prolong the cosmetic effects of surgery by allowing efficient blood flow to the skin.