For patients who are unhappy with the appearance of their nose, rhinoplasty (nose reshaping) offers an effective surgical treatment option. As the nose is the most prominent facial feature, rhinoplasty can work to both enhance facial harmony and restore confidence. Before you decide that rhinoplasty is the right choice for you, take a look at some facts about this procedure you may not have known about.
5 Facts about Rhinoplasty
- It’s not just a cosmetic procedure. While rhinoplasty is often performed for purely cosmetic reasons, it has functional applications as well. This procedure can correct breathing problems brought on by a deviated septum, nasal birth defect or injury, the narrowing or collapse of the nostrils and more.
- Rhinoplasty is customized to meet the needs of each patient. Rhinoplasty is not simply a one-size-fits-all procedure. As patients seek rhinoplasty for a variety of different reasons, each procedure is catered to the unique goals and needs of each individual patient.
- It’s one of the most popular cosmetic procedures in the United States. According to statistics released by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, there were 217,000 rhinoplasty procedures performed in the United States in 2014. This makes it the second most popular cosmetic procedure in the entire country, only after breast augmentation.
- There are different rhinoplasty techniques. The close rhinoplasty procedure is performed via internal incisions, meaning that there are no external scars following surgery. In an open rhinoplasty, your surgeon will make an additional incision in the columella, the column that separates the nostrils. Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages, and your surgeon will decide which is best for you.
- Other parts of the b0dy can be used. While implants may sometimes be used during rhinoplasty, plastic surgeons will often use grafts, or skin or cartilage from other areas of the body.
To Learn More about the Rhinoplasty Procedure, Contact Dr. Brendan Smith Today.
To learn about rhinoplasty or any of the procedures we offer, contact Dr. Smith today at 866.705.8940 or 843.705.8940. Our offices are located in South Carolina, serving the communities of Hilton Head, Bluffton, Beaufort and Okatie. We look forward to hearing from you.