If you’ve made the decision to undergo an abdominoplasty (commonly known as a tummy tuck), your first step is to schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon. While tummy tucks are a very common procedure that often produce satisfying results, it is important to establish trust with your doctor before the surgery and work together to form a treatment plan to meet your goals and expectations.
In order to get the most out of your pre-operative tummy tuck consultation, here are some questions that you should discuss with your doctor.
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? It is critical that your surgery is performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon who has received highly specialized training and experience performing abdominoplasties.
- Am I a good candidate for this procedure? A certified surgeon will provide realistic and honest advice as to whether you are suited for a tummy tuck. For example, women who plan to become pregnant or an individual who desires to lose a significant amount of weight are not strong candidates for this surgery, as drastic changes in weight can diminish the results of a tummy tuck.
- How long is the expected recovery period, and what type of care will I require? While you may be excited or nervous about the surgery itself, after care is equally as important to achieving great, lasting results. When you know what to expect after surgery, you can have the best plan possible for recovery.
- What are the risks associated with a tummy tuck? As with any surgery, there are a number of risks involved. While risks are minimal and rare with certified and experienced surgeons, it is imperative that patients are aware that they exist.
- How can I expect my stomach to look? Are my expectations for results realistic? When it comes to results, the doctor and patient need to be on the same page. During your consultation, your doctor should be able to set expectations for results.
Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) in Okatie
If you are interested in learning more about a tummy tuck, contact Dr. Smith today at 843.705.8940. Our offices are located in South Carolina, serving the communities of Hilton Head, Bluffton, Beaufort and Okatie. We look forward to hearing from you!