Abdominoplasty, also known as tummy tuck surgery, is a cosmetic procedure that tightens the walls of the abdomen and removes excess fat and skin to give the abdomen a flatter shape. Candidates for this procedure are otherwise healthy individuals with areas of stubborn fat on their body that are unresponsive to diet or exercise. Many patients choose to undergo this surgery following life-changing events, such as pregnancy or weight-loss surgery.
During an abdominoplasty, your doctor will make two incisions: one from hipbone to hipbone, another close to the pubic area, and a second near the navel region. The skin is then separated from the abdominal muscles, which will be pulled together and stitched up to form a more narrow waist. The procedure takes about 2 to 5 hours to complete. So, what will your recovery be like following abdominoplasty? Keep reading for more information.
What to Expect While Recovering from Abdominoplasty
- Your recovery time will generally be about two to six weeks.
- During your recovery, be sure to avoid any strenuous activities or exercises, such as lifting heavy objects, for at least two weeks after surgery.
- You may have a small amount of scarring following surgery. While scarring may fade with time, it will never disappear completely. Some creams and ointments may help minimize the appearance of scarring.
- You may need to wear compression garments following surgery, and a temporary tube may be inserted under your skin to drain any excess fluids from the incision.
- Your results are not permanent, although you can maintain them through a balanced diet and regular exercise. It is usually recommended that women considering abdominoplasty be done having children, since future pregnancies can negate the results of the surgery.
While your recovery from abdominoplasty may be lengthy, most people are highly-satisfied with their results, and instantly notice an improvement in the way their body looks.
Contact Dr. Smith to Learn More About Abdominoplasty
For more information about the abdominoplasty procedure, contact us today at 866.705.8940 or 843.705.8940. Our offices are located in South Carolina, serving the communities of Hilton Head, Bluffton, Beaufort and Okatie. We look forward to hearing from you!