Adding Shape to Your Lips
- Posted on: Apr 15 2018
Most women agree that they would be OK if one day they awoke and found they had lips like Angelina Jolie. But whether due to the volume loss that comes with aging or because of simple genetics, many of us have thin, shapeless lips. Or, if we do have round lips, they may lack symmetry from side to side.
People have tried to augment their thin lips for quite a while. Collagen and fat injections have been used, but they create inconsistent results. Silicone implants are still placed, as well. But increasingly it’s dermal fillers that are the augmentation method of choice. Compared with collagen and fat, dermal fillers are safer and provide longer-lasting results. Dr. Smith prefers to use hyaluronic acid fillers for lip augmentation.
Hyaluronic acid for the lips
If you’re reading Dr. Smith’s blog, you’ve no doubt heard of hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance in the body that is responsible for hydrating and “plumping” the skin. Hyaluronic acid binds to water molecules to do this. That’s what makes these fillers perfect for the lips, as that hydration naturally plumps the lips.
Dr. Smith uses primarily Juvederm Ultra XC for providing more plumping to the lips. A newer offering, Juvederm Volbella XC, is also designed for the lips and provides additional volume but in a more subtle way. Restylane Silk is also a popular choice for lip augmentation. There are other hyaluronic acid filler options: Belotero Balance, Hylaform, Elevess, Prevelle Silk, and Captique.
Why is hyaluronic acid so good for lip augmentation?
When augmenting his patients’ lips, Dr. Smith seeks to add shape, structure, and volume. These are the benefits of these fillers:
- Gradual increase— So that the results don’t overwhelm, patients often opt to have very gradual increases made over a series of appointments, rather than a large increase in a single visit.
- Control over volume— The amount of filler being injected can be precisely controlled to manage the increased volume.
- Bumps dissolve— Because hyaluronic acid can be dissipated with an injection of an enzyme, bumps, and lumps can be easily removed.
- Half-year results— Most hyaluronic acid filler results last for around six months.
- Less swelling and bruising— These fillers are gentler on the patient.
- Unlikely allergic reactions— Because hyaluronic acid naturally occurs in the human body, these fillers very rarely cause any allergic reaction.
OK, we can’t all have Angelina’s lips, but we don’t have to soldier on with thin, shapeless lips either. If you’re interested in augmenting your lips, or maybe simply evening out asymmetrical lips, call Dr. Smith at (843) 705-8940 and set up a consultation.
Posted in: Lip Augmentation