Our lips have two factors dictating their shape and fullness. First, genes. Some of us are simply born with thin lips that virtually disappear when we smile. Second, as we age our lips usually lose some of their fullness. But great, plump lips shouldn’t be something we only see if we go to an Angelina Jolie movie!
Dr. Smith uses a variety of techniques to enhance his patients’ lips. Some involve filler injections, others grafts.
- Dermal filler injections — Dermal fillers such as Restylane and Radiesse are very effective in adding definition and volume to the lips. Using a very fine needle, Dr. Smith injects these fillers into both the upper and lower lips. Over time, the body will absorb the filler and another session will be necessary to maintain your results.
- Fat injections — Obviously, using your own fat to enhance your lips has the added benefit of removing unwanted fat from another area of the body. The harvested fat is purified and then re-injected. Fat injection permanence depends on the survival rate of the fat cells, but those fat cells that “take” will remain in place permanently.
- Collagen injections— Dr. Smith only uses human-derived collagen to avoid the adverse reactions caused by bovine collagen. Collagen injections are handled in the same manner as fat injections.
- AlloDerm — In this procedure, a sheet of collagen material derived from humans is rolled and threaded along the full length of the lips to enhance them. The procedure needs to be repeated every six to 12 months.
- Grafts — Grafts are inserted through incisions made in the inside corners of the mouth.
- Dermal/fascia grafts — Body tissue from other areas can be also be grafted into the lips. The patient’s own skin, muscle, and collagen can be used. This is a long-term option.
Do you wish you had fuller, plumper lips? It doesn’t need to be just a wish. Call Dr. Smith at 843-705-8940 and let’s discuss your lip augmentation options.