Deciding to undergo plastic surgery is a very serious and personal decision. There are many factors to consider: the safety of the procedure, the recovery time, the surgical results and most importantly choosing the best surgeon for the procedure you desire. In order to select the best plastic surgeon, patients must perform some research to ensure that the surgeon they are enlisting for the procedure is the best physician for the job. Here are the 10 best qualities to look for in a plastic surgeon.
10 Qualities Your Plastic Surgeon Should Have
- Board Certification ensures patients that they physician they are consulting with has met specific requirements in his or her medical specialty. Physicians that are board certified have completed the highest level of education and training, and continue to perform at the highest standards in medical care.
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) membership assures patients that the physician belongs to a professional society that recognizes him or her as an authority in the field. ASAPS membership is a mark of distinction among plastic and cosmetic surgeons.
- Experience with the specific procedure you are interested in. Plastic surgeons are qualified to perform a variety of procedures, however, often surgeons specialize in a few procedures that they have the most experience and training with. Ask your plastic surgeon what he or she specializes in to make sure that they he or she has extensive expertise with the procedure.
- Facility Accreditation is important to inquire about. If your procedure can be performed on site at a surgical facility, make sure that it has the highest accreditation and is fully licensed.
- Hospital Privileges is important to consider. In a worst-case scenario, if something were to go wrong, you want to make sure that your surgeon can give you care within the confines of a hospital setting.
- References and reviews from former patients allow potential patients to have a real, inside scoop on other patient’s experience with the physician.
- Thoroughness is essential to a positive experience as a patient.
- Reputation and testimonials show patients what other patients really thought about the surgeon and their experiences.
- Follow-up Care is critical. Ask your plastic surgeon about the cost of post-surgical office visits, and how often you will be required to visit the office after your procedure.
- Affordability is important, but above all, it is important to remember that “you get what you pay for.” Make sure your surgeon’s fees are standard for the industry and your location. Surgeons charging significantly less or more than their colleagues may be a red flag.
Interested in Plastic Surgery? Contact Dr. Smith.
For more information about any of the procedures we offer, contact Dr. Smith today at 843.705.8940. Our offices are located in South Carolina, serving the communities of Hilton Head, Bluffton, Beaufort and Okatie. We look forward to hearing from you.