What To Expect While Recovering From Rhinoplasty Surgery
- Posted on: Dec 13 2014
While many consider rhinoplasty surgery a normal, everyday-type of procedure, it’s important to remember that it is, in fact, surgery. Individuals looking to undergo a rhinoplasty often have questions regarding their recovery, often relating to residual pain, bandaging and pain management.
Rhinoplasty surgery is a delicate process, like any other procedure, cosmetic or otherwise.
What Should I Expect While Recovering from Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- Following your rhinoplasty, your face will be bandaged. You will have stitches, and in some cases, a cast on your face, which will require external care. Packing and splints will be in place to hold the recently-reconstructed nose in place during healing.
- It is important to keep the area around your nose clean and dry during recovery.
- Taking all medications prescribed by the doctor is incredibly important during recovery, especially when it comes to managing pain and preventing infection.
- During the early days of recovery, nasal drainage and soreness will be a common issue around the surgical area. Pain will subside gradually, over time, but can be managed either via a prescription or through over-the-counter medications. Prescription painkillers are typically only required for the first few days of recovery. Patients typically describe pain associated with rhinoplasty surgery as a dull ache.
- Nasal symptoms associated with allergies will result in more issues.
For a period of time after undergoing rhinoplasty, patients often report puffiness and minor swelling. While swelling will occur off and on over the next few days, it’s important to keep realistic expectations in mind during and after surgery.
The results of rhinoplasty will differ depending on whether or not there are major changes in the nose’s structure. Simpler procedures and minor changes will result in shorter recovery times, but a massive change in nasal structure will result in a more extended recovery time.
Contact Dr. Brendan Smith to Learn More about Rhinoplasty.
For more information about rhinoplasty or any other service we offer, contact Dr. Smith today at 866.705.8940 or 843.705.8940. Our offices are located in South Carolina, serving the communities of Hilton Head, Bluffton, Beaufort and Okatie. We look forward to hearing from you.
Posted in: Rhinoplasty